25 August 2007

Make fsck Less Annoying

Here's a HowTo (well, script really) for making fsck run at shutdown instead of startup so that it doesn't make you wait during boot. If you're shutting down and need it to be shut down *now* so you can put it in your bag or something, you can also tell it "not now," and it'll ask next time. Pretty neat, IMO.

read more | digg story


Karl L. Gechlik said...

This should be done with caution as corruption to the drive or data can occur. We usually let our machine run the checks when neccessary.

But this can be helpful if troubleshooting a failing drive - but otherwise I wouldn't suggest using it. Thats just my 2 cents though - a native windows dude.


Mackenzie said...

Unlike on Windows, we use journaled file systems. That means that if something goes wrong, a log is there saying exactly what was being done at the time. If an error occurs, the check runs at boot time and fixes stuff. Ubuntu by default does "just in case" checks every 30 days. The checks happen during bootup, though, when you're trying to use the computer. What this script does is make it so that the checks happen at shutdown time instead so that you don't have to sit and wait for them. You're still getting monthly checkups on your drive, and you'll still get emergency fsck's when a power outtage knocks it out mid-write.

Karl L. Gechlik said...

Thanks Mackenzie You Learn Something New Every Day!

Support said...

Hi there,

Nice stuff you got, very interesting to read.
Well, I do have also in my sleeves, if you have time don't forget to visit


Many thanks

karateka said...

I really appreciate this and the other articles on your blog. Just today I was trying to use my laptop (Dell, Ubuntu pre-installed) and the fsck came up. Needless to say, I didn't use my laptop over lunch. I have also had it come up when I have needed to do a presentation. It has really been frustrating.

Ironically, this is only useful to those of us still running Feisty Fawn. It was improved in later versions, according to other links I pulled up.

Thanks again.

Parent Rights

Mackenzie said...

No, it was still needed in Gutsy. Hardy's the first to allow skipping checks at startup to put them off til a convenient time.