13 August 2007

OSX Leopard compared to current Linux features

We always compare our OS to Windows, right? Not many people compare it to OS X very often, but the Linux Action Show podcast did. Clips can be found here. I've compared the Address Book program and concluded that there is no nicer address book than the one in OS X. KAddressBook and Rubrica (the newer one, available from the dc.ubuntu-us.org repository, not the one in Feisty's repo) are close on features, but the interfaces with lots of tabs and dialogs aren't as nice as Apple's. But that's an aside. I've also looked at their new promise of "Spaces" (read: workspaces / virtual desktops / viewports) in Leopard and said "we have that already!" In fact, I'm using Tiger right now (I'm at work, and it's the only computer with the internet!), and it drives me batty not having workspaces. Same goes with Windows. I know XP has that PowerToy, but have you used it? In case you were wondering how to make XP on a new computer feel like it's on a Pentium II (you'll see me compare things to my Pentium II a lot as it's my oldest computer), you'll get the same feeling by installing that PowerToy.

I really dislike using this MacBook Pro. Perhaps if Apple's X11 behaved more sensibly, it'd be better. As it is, the GIMP and Inkscape both run on X11, and when you use the "hide" keyboard shortcut (or grab it from the menu), all X11 stuff hides. So how do you hide the GIMP and keep Inkscape up? You don't. You can't hide one and not the other. You can minimize the GIMP's 3 windows to the right side of the dock, but that's it. For people that use all proprietary software, like the ubiquitous (and terrible, IMHO) Photoshop, this isn't something they'd notice, but do you really think I'm going to be using anything that's not FOSS, given the choice? The GIMP does tons more than I need, and finding the perspective tool on it was easier than...well, I never found it on Jasc (now owned by Corel) Paint Shop Pro 8 (which I used for about 3 years) or Photoshop (which I used for a year).There is only one advantage I see to having OS X. If you need proprietary stuff, it's often (not always though) there, and you are as virus-safe as a Linux-user. If you don't need Photoshop or iTunes Music Store, join us Linux users and drink the Koolaid from the Free Software Foundation.

Yes, I'm sending you to read another blog's post about a podcast. Weird, right? Oh well. Use the Digg links below to Digg the original story. Ignore the one to the left.

read more | digg story

2 comments:

Jack said...

I think Photoshop is one of the programs that runs really well through wine/crossover office.

Mackenzie said...

Pre-CS versions of Photoshop, sure, but CS/2/3 don't work at all. I've seen where someone found a workaround involving installing the Windows Photoshop PortableApp (it doesn't pre-exist, but you can turn it into one) on a USB drive and then ran it with Wine.