14 March 2008

Hardy really truly recognizes my iAudio!

On Gutsy, plugging in my Cowon iAudio 7 resulted in Nautilus opening for drag n drop mode and the iAudio showing on the desktop as a removable drive named "IAUDIO 7". I just plugged it into Hardy for the first time (it's supposed to have a 60-hour battery life, and well, after a month it's still got about half the battery), and it showed this:

Yes, it shows a PMP icon! And instead of opening Nautilus, it opened Rhythmbox. This is so cool! The only bad thing is that Rhythmbox doesn't know to only import the MUSIC/ directory on it, so it shows some errors (in the "Import Errors" tab only--no popups) about the other files on the player. I'm gonna report that to GNOME, but honestly I'm not worried about that. I'm just really excited to see that it recognizes when a random USB device is a PMP.


8 comments:

Shane Par-Due said...

I really like how Amarok interfaces with my IAudio U2 also! I can designate the folder to transfer to and see how much space I have free to transfer in the queue before transferring! Good stuff.

Robin said...

With a small amount of copy-pasting in /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-usb-music-players.fdi you can make the system recognise it as an MP3 player rather than just a removable disk. This means that Rhythmbox will be able to work with it too. Just grab the definition for another iaudio device that is similar (e.g. the F2), edit the USB IDs and paste it in.

Eetu said...

I suppose you should report the directory problem to HAL (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=hal) instead of Gnome.

(Unless, of course, there is nothing wrong with the HAL entry of iAudio 7 and the problem is just that Rhythmbox doesn't obey the directory information in it. Hmm, I guess users shouldn't really have to care about such things...)

MagicFab said...

File a bug ? ;)

Mackenzie said...

I did file a bug with Rhythmbox and with Ubuntu. HAL reports audio_folders correctly. Rhythmbox that's part of Hardy has that problem. Rhythmbox from SVN doesn't. Sounds simple enough, except once I checked out and compiled Rhythmbox from SVN, the original Rhythmbox started behaving correctly.

Mack said...

Yes, I had the same reaction when I plugged in my PSP. Very cool!

unrelated: I just found your blog and wanted to say good work and plz keep blogging!

tarunaai said...

The secret is this bug - https://edge.launchpad.net/bugs/173559

I am not the bug reporter. But I remember it because it helped me understand the process to make any usb music player identified as player. :-)

Uriel said...

After mounted your device player just go in the devices's root directory and then do

touch .is_audio_player

and then the rhytmbox will recognize it as a player. I had the same problem with mmc/SD cards, and it worked , now they are recognized as they were players.

Uriel