12 March 2008

I'll be writing about Linux elsewhere too

So, I'm now writing for MakeUseOf as one of their new Linux people. Sridhar from UbuntuGeek will also be writing about Ubuntu. My first article over there, What's This "Linux" Thing and Why Should I Try It?, is up there now. It's just a basic introduction to why everyone's talking about Linux.

The way I'm thinking this is going to work is that things of an "article" sort will be over there and have some sort of relationship from article to article. This blog will still be full of random things I find and want to post about right away, so it won't be going away. It'll still be updated just as irregularly as always and with just as off-the-wall stuff.

Speaking of off-the-wall, human-murrine changed. They took out the brushed metal menubars :( I want them back. Anyone have a copy of that theme so I can reinstall it?


8 comments:

matthew said...

Congrats on the new gig! I'm sure you will do great.

craig t mackenzie said...

i've just read your article. very good. just thought i would congratulate you!

RedLeg said...

I've been a Unix geek for almost 20 years, and have been using Linux since kernel 0.99p2 (1993 or so). Your article is one of the best, most accessible to newbies, which I have read in quite some time. I'm particularly impressed with the simple and direct way you summarized the security model.

Nice Work....

Congrats

Anonymous said...

I'm a Linux geek (going on 4 years now) and I thought you article was amazing. And an Ubuntu user on again off again from the start, though now I'm here to stay. Keep up to good work of spreading the news.


-=x1101=-

Kevix said...

Hi Mac,
read the article. Cool. Nice. easy going, not too technical, covers some of the basic concepts and objections for those who are not familiar with Linux. in a word: EGGcellant!

Raseel said...

Great article. I'll be parading it around for Linux conversions :-)

Christopher said...

I am just wondering,

on that article is your mom still using linux or switched back to windows?

I am upgrading this old HP PAVILLION with 256 mb ram and it has UBUNTU 7.10 on it and I am trying to get use to it. I am use to windows but this is new I am glad I have 2 computers so I can have the best of both worlds!

~ Christopher ~

Mackenzie said...

She's still using Ubuntu. She's been using it since Nov. 2006. Her computer still has 7.10. I'll upgrade it to 8.04 in June when I go visit for my brother and sister's high school graduation.