14 March 2008

New Tomboy Rocks!

While working on an article for MUO, I took a look at Tomboy. You may recall that I wrote about Tomboy before. Yet again, Tomboy has improved greatly. I know I'm supposed to go all FSF on it and complain about it being C# and Mono and beholden to Microsoft for its API, but it's just so good. I also know that I need to try KDE's note-taking app, BasKet. The one major feature BasKet has that Tomboy lacked, the ability to separate the notes by category, has now been implemented. In Tomboy these are, logically enough, called notebooks. As an example, here's the All Notes view:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

And here's just the Calculus notebook:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


nixternal said...

I am a KDE user and I have always liked Tomboy more so than I have liked Basket. Basket to me seems like the Microsoft Onenote application, which I thought to be more than what I needed. Granted I am not a mono/.NET/c# fan, but Tomboy is pretty much the perfect notepad application out there.

Anonymous said...

Tomboy & mono are just as free as everything else. Please stop spreading the mono-fud.

bma said...

@anonymous: the code is free, but the language originates from Microsoft and at the very least there's the threat of patents on parts of it.

Vadi said...

Yeah, I wish it wasn't done in C# to quiet down everybody, but what can you do? I'm not going to be shooting myself in the foot when I need functionality.

Laurent Debacker said...

Stop the FUD about patent threats toward C#, C# and the core or .NET are standards approved by ECMA. Consequently, all patents required to implement the standard and owned by Microsoft are available under royalty-free and otherwise RAND terms. And that was law stuff, now when you look at the behavior of Microsoft, they gave away the DLR, the javascript lib for their Ajax framework under an OSI-approved license. It is true that Mono implements more than the standards, but Tomboy does not use such parts.

You should complain about Java and Flash instead. Everybody said Java was open source way before it was actually under the GPL, and Java ME is still not free (that's probably why Google Android does not use Java ME).