07 March 2008

Playing Music & Not Getting Sound in Flash?

I was listening to music in Rhythmbox and paused it so I could watch a music video on YouTube. Because Rhythmbox had a pipe still open, I couldn't get sound in Flash. I've heard of people having problems with 2 outputs, but never on my laptop. So after talking to Crimsun for a bit on #ubuntu+1, I learned that if you use PulseAudio as your audio backend (which Hardy does by default), you need to have libflashsupport installed. My Flash came from Adobe.com, so the library wasn't automatically installed. If you're having trouble getting sound out of your speakers while a Firefox session that has used Flash is still running, try installing that library.


9 comments:

Asa said...

Whats the purpose in installing your flash from adobe.com instead of from the Ubuntu repo?

Mackenzie said...

The deb in the repo was broken in Gutsy for a long time, and so I installed from adobe.com. When I copied my .mozilla directory to Hardy to keep my settings, the plugin came with it.

k said...

wow, are back to square one again?
I thought audio mixing problems were solved after flash stopped using oss by default for audio ...

antistress said...

Totem 2.22 (hardy) with plugin activated allow you to browse YouTube video !
Vade retro Flash

JPeter said...

Mackenzie,

Thank you! You not only just solved my problem (also on a laptop), you just gained a devoted reader.

Saeid said...

Thanks, Very Thanks

Db0 said...

Thanks for this. My problem is now resolved ;)

Jorixine said...

hey menm thank you very much, i was looking for someting like this.
since my upgrade to hardy i was unable to listen music and have youtube sound at the same time.

thanks again :D

mrsham said...

Thank you! Fixed my (desktop) problems.