12 March 2008

Say "Cheese!"

Though it is not included in a default Hardy install, GNOME 2.22 has a new program called Cheese, similar to Apple's Photo Booth. It has a range of effects available including "Hulk" (turns your skin green), mauve, noir/blanc (black & white), saturation, some crazy psychadelic one, and warp.

Here's Cheese in action (using the "warp" effect):

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

And here's a pic taken using the "dice" effect:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Photos are stored in ~/.gnome2/cheese/media/ but you can right-click on the images at the bottom of Cheese and "Save As" to save them somewhere else.

My webcam is a Creative PD1030 and worked out of the box, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it since it's pretty blurry. It could also just have something to do with being second-hand and a dirty lens though.


7 comments:

sabrebutt said...

Did you try turning the lens to focus it? Mine was rather blury too until I realized it was manual focus by spinning the lens.

Mackenzie said...

Oooo it DOES have a spinny thingy! I never noticed that! Thanks!

naughty kid said...

something wrong with my webcam...i done installing cheese and its fun!but after a few day i can't see anything from my webcam with cheese...was i missing installing something?can somebody help me please...or can someone tell me if there were some app that similar with cheese that can perform in linux?

Mackenzie said...

Maybe you got an update that broke your webcam? I kind of doubt it's that Cheese stopped working.

Eric said...

I have a pd1030 too but it's not working . How did you do to make the wabcam work in linux ( i run kubuntu 8.10)

Mackenzie said...

Eric:
Yeah, I think that webcam regressed at some point. It definitely was in bad shape on 9.04. In 9.10 it works great, though. I think the driver was rewritten over the course of the last year.

nitrofurano said...

before knowing how to use Cheese we should learn how to install a webcam - i had to reinstall Ubuntu after trying to compile the gspca kernel module - Linux is still not for webcams out of box, sadly...