Pwn 2 Own is a competition where if you can hack it, you win it along with a nice pile of cash. All vulnerabilities must be original, and they cannot be publicized until after the creator of the software has had a chance to fix it. The competition was between a MacBook Air, a Vista SP1 laptop, and an Ubuntu laptop. Each day, different things are allowed.
- Day 1
- OS, drivers, network stack
- All left standing
- Day 2
- Default-installed userspace software
- MacBook taken down in 2 minutes by Safari, Ubuntu & Vista left standing
- Day 3
- Popular 3rd party apps are game
- Vista taken down with a Flash vulnerability
Regarding hacking the MacBook Air, the winner said "I thought of the three it was the easiest" (according to Channel Register). That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say OSX is easier to hack than Windows. Wow. But, it turned out to be true, and I think we turned out to be the real winners ;) Until next year's we can say our OS is the hardest to hack!