01 April 2008

April Fools? Please? ISO approved OOXML

ZDNet is reporting that MS's OOXML (which is neither open nor follows the XML standard, go figure) has gotten >75% approval from ISO. The official vote won't be announced until tomorrow. I really hope this is April Fools. How do you ratify a standard that breaks another, pre-existing standard? And the standard being broken is one you approved? How about when Microsoft's format doesn't work as advertised? There was a petition made against it, and if you read the page, you'll see what I meant about this "XML-based standard" breaking the real XML standard. Ugh.


GFree said...

I don't think it's April Fools. Besides, no matter which way you look at it, ISO is made up of people just as susceptible to bribes and corruption as any other.

Danni B said...

I was hoping this was an April Fool's joke as well. I'm really quite disappointed that it's not though. I wonder what this means for the future of OpenDocument.