16 April 2008

Dell is very happy with Ubuntu sales

According to Computer World, Linux sales are "thriving." They say they wouldn't have kept it going if it wasn't working well, but they won't release any figures, saying figures don't really matter.

Seeing as Dell hasn't done any marketing whatsoever for this, this is fantastic. I think it shows that there is a big enough user base who are willing to pay for the service of having it pre-setup. Sure, many of could do it ourselves, but when you can ditch the Microsoft tax and skip to the best part of setting up your system—perfecting your personal settings—, why not? The thing I like about this is that they're a big name. They're kind of pressuring the other big players, and that's great. Of course, there are other companies which go Linux-only, like ZaReason, System76, and Emperor Linux, but none of them have physical walk-in stores. ZaReason is aiming to change that in the Bay Area, but I know I ended up with a Gateway (yeah, yeah) because at the time my mom refused to pay if we couldn't see it in a real, live store. Dell's in-kiosk displays may not run Linux, but they're still the same hardware, so getting a feel for how sturdily-constructed it is is still possible.


Mike said...

I'm one of those people who purchased the 1420 N. I love it. Sure it's not as thin as a Macbook. It's also a bit heavy with the 9 cell battery but overall I think that it is extremely fast and with Ubuntu 8.04 I find it to be very stable. Honestly, I hardly use my iMac now.

Red Nikon said...

I've built computers over the last 6 years. But recently I have grown tired of tracking down components and building a PC up from there. (I am in the military and it is hard on base to find good cheap computer parts.) About seven months ago my old desktop computer was dying (it was about two years old so about time to replace it) so instead of doing what I always did I purchased a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop.

I enjoyed the fact that I got exactly what I wanted in a new PC, at half the cost I would normally pay, and without have to track down the individual parts and put them together. In fact I enjoyed it so much that when my laptop was starting to run sluggish, lost it's on board WAN card, and it's on board wired card was running at 10H. I broke down and purchased a Dell Inspiron 1525.

Both of these PCs are excellent considering what I paid for them, plus I have support for three years, and will probably not need to replace them till then. Before Dell announced they were going to release Ubuntu PCs, I would have never purchased from them. But, since they are showing support for one of my favorite OS's, I gave them the benefit of the doubt this time and I am glad I did.