23 April 2008

FAQ: Hardy Upgrade

Alright, here's an FAQ for upgrading to Hardy for everyone who reads this blog. I figure the info should be posted far and wide, so here you go.

  1. When will it be released?
    • EDIT: It's out.
  2. If I installed from an alpha/beta/release candidate CD, what do I do?
    • If you've kept up with your updates, nothing. If you haven't, install your normal updates.
  3. How do I download it?
  4. How do I upgrade from Gutsy?
    • Just run the update-manager and tell it to check for updates. You will see a button at the top offering to upgrade you to 8.04.
  5. Can I upgrade Gutsy to Hardy from a CD?
    • Yes, please download the Alternate CD. When you insert it into your Gutsy system, it should recognize the CD as a repository and allow you to install updates from it. You will still need to update the programs you have installed which are not part of a default install over the internet.
  6. How's the memory usage?
    • More of your memory will probably be in use, but it won't be slower because of it. Mine actually feels snappier. It seems Hardy is caching the memory to be able to make it quickly available to new processes for good responsiveness. Remember, unused memory is wasted memory.
  7. Why isn't Kubuntu an LTS?
    • Kubuntu 8.04 has KDE4. KDE4 is too new and untested to really be called stable enough for an LTS release. KDE 3.5.9 won't be supported long enough to be an LTS.
  8. Why is Firefox 3 beta 5 included? It's beta!
    • Firefox 2 will not continue to get security updates from Mozilla long enough to be in an LTS release. FF3b5 is in very good shape, and the final release is due in June. June is also when 8.04.1 is due, which will include all updates up to that point on an updated iso image, and also (I expect) FF3 final.
  9. Why Pulse Audio when I've just finally figured out ALSA?
    • Edubuntu is sort of leading the way with LTSP, and the only way a thin client is going to get reliable sound (or is it "any sound at all"?) is with Pulse Audio.
    • Pulse Audio also takes care of a whole bunch of issues with PCM Multiout, like that bug everyone complains about where they can't have more than one audio-outputting app going at once, even when one's paused.
  10. How do I type in Chinese/Japanese/Korean?
    • Go to System -> Administration -> Languages and enable complex character input.
  11. NEW Can I do full disk encryption?
    • Yes, the alternate CDs can set up encrypted LVM
  12. NEW Can I install from a USB thumb drive?
    • Yes, take a look here. Don't worry about the manual section, just use isostick.sh, but do take a look at the part about what to do after installation about your /etc/fstab
  13. Any really big changes I should be aware of?
    • Pulse Audio is the default sound server. MythTV might need some tweaks. Flash might as well.
    • The new Xorg is supposed to be all nice and hotplugable, but dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg is no more. /etc/X11/xorg.conf is also now very barebones. This is for the hotplugability. The correct way to configure this new version of X is with the xfix command. Changing resolution is done on the fly with xrandr.
    • For GUI configuration of X, System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution should do nicely instead of the Screens & Graphics tool.
    • You will no longer be automatically prompted for your password when accessing nearly everything in the Administration menu. Instead, you can actually see what the tool is first, and then press the "Unlock" button to get admin access to the tool. This is thanks to Policy Kit.
    • When you're helping a friend with an evil Broadcom wireless card, it's no longer bcm43xx-fwcutter. It's now b43-fwcutter.

OK, that's everything I can think of off the top of my head, but if you have any other questions, post in the comments, and I'll try to answer them.


jblackhall said...

I was wondering if you could expand on the broadcom drivers thing (or point me to somewhere that does). A friend of mine is having trouble with his wireless card on the Hardy RC.

Also, what network is #ubuntu-release-party on?

Mackenzie said...

In Feisty & Gutsy, getting the firmware for Broadcom meant installing bcm43xx-fwcutter, but in Hardy, the package you need is b43-fwcutter because there are new Broadcom drivers. It should automatically fetch a copy of the Windows driver and extract the firmware upon install.


scot said...

Short and too the point, great job! My upgrade is running as we speak.

login01 said...

Do you know if BATMAN/Open Mesh net (http://open-mesh.net/) is going to be included with Ubuntu?

Mackenzie said...

batmand and mobilemesh are both in the repositories, but neither is included.

Jeff said...

I did notice that dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg did not have the vast options it used to, however which I tried your suggestion to use xfix, it said the command was not found. It is also not in the repositories. Are you sure the command you listed is correct?
Thank you.

Mackenzie said...

xfix is a command in safe graphics mode. If you're working outside of that, stick to xrandr

Octopato said...

Thanks for the FAQ, I was really freakin' out cause I couldn't upgrade my gutsy.
An issue: your link to the alternate cd for amd64 points to i386.

I hope Hardy's more user-friendly with new laptops----

Mackenzie said...

Oops, thanks! Updating that link now.

Brody said...

Wow. I love your blog. :)

Also, I have a question.

How much work am I going to have to do to re-setup a whole bunch of settings and programs I have from Gutsy. I wasn't able to make a /home partition...

I'm specifically, but not exclusively, referring to Themes, Desktop Effects, Picasa, Google Desktop, Firefox, Sound Settings, etc.

Will I have to reconfigure everything, or is it a nice smooth upgrade?

Mackenzie said...

If you upgrade, your settings will be saved. If you do a fresh install but you backup your .gnome* and .gconf* you'll keep your theme stuff. Keep .mozilla/ for Firefox stuff. Compiz stuff is in .compiz ...all these are hidden files in your home directory. They can be viewed by pressing ctrl+H in th file browser.

ubuntu-restricted-extras will get you all the Flash, Java, etc. stuff.

Brody said...

Thanks! :)

Red Nikon said...

I haven't commented in a while. So to let you know I have been using Hardy on my laptop for the past two weeks. It is everything I expected and more. I am loving the new weather feature next to the day and time.

I haven't been about to get it working right on my desktop, but I don't send much time on it anyway, I just use it to store movies, music, and such. I have one qualm with Hardy using the Beta of Firefox, though I am sure with time my favorite add-ons will function again.

Anyway keep up the great posts, I have been reading just not much time. You know with me separating and all. Which I am looking forward to, it means I will be able to go back to college, yay!

Coelho na Rede said...

Congratulations for the tips, thanks...

Peter said...

I just ran into the new xorg issue. While trying to install Hardy on an old PIII, it crashes after rebooting and making it *almost* all the way through the splash screen. It actually fails when trying to start X.

Some research on the web shows that the 3DLabs Oxygen AGP video card that was in the system is no longer supported (worked fine in 7.10). Switching to another card (Some kind of ATI AGP card I pulled out of a similar system in the junk pile) allowed the system to boot just fine.

So, looks like some of the older, more obscure video cards aren't supported any more. This isn't really a problem for me, as I usually stick to the mainstream manufacturers. This was a salvaged system I'm giving away.