22 April 2008

GSynaptics 0.9.14 debs now available

GSynaptics is a tool for configuring Synaptics touchpads. It uses synclient as a backend, so your xorg.conf has to list Option "SHMConfig" "true" in the Synaptics section. There are a bunch of options available, like vertical and horizontal scroll, circular scrolling (iPod-style), tapping, etc. I just packaged up GSynaptics 0.9.14 for Hardy. It can be found in my PPA (see right side) if you'd like to install it. The reasons you may want to install this one instead of what's in the default repos are:

  • Sensitivity fixed
  • Minimum and maximum speed settings added
  • Acceleration settings added

I just learned to make packages yesterday when I was doing Twitux, so I figured I ought to do this before I forget how.

EDIT: JDong says to include the warning from Synclient's manpage.

WARNING: This is not secure if you are in an untrusted multiuser environment. All local users can change the parameters at any time.

10 comments:

Vadi said...

I can never get past the SHMConfig error. Here's my xorg.conf if you think you can help:

http://pastebin.com/m1012a589

(Ubuntu 8.04 64bit, touchpad works fine but screws up when I type)

Mackenzie said...

Try it with "true" instead of "on"? Also, you need to restart X before it goes into effect.

Vadi said...

Same thing, and I do logout/relogin before trying.

Danni B said...

vadi: Try a sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart from tty1 after modifying xorg.conf.

Senthil said...

Amazing work Mackenzie. I would like to provide a suggestion... for all the sliders if you can add a "reset to default" and an global reset that would be useful feature.

thx a lot.

Mackenzie said...

A friend requested another feature recently, so I expect I'll be playing with the source this weekend or next. If I can figure out how to do that, I will, but I don't know if there really is a "default"...I think that varies by distro.

Sentimente said...

Thanks, Mac!

Sentimente said...

Thanks, Mac!

Art said...

I've tried this a bunch of times on different laptops, and still get the xorg.conf error. Maybe I'm putting it in the wrong place. Here is where I put it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
Option "SHMConfig" "true"
EndSection

Mackenzie said...

If you're using Intrepid, SHMConfig is gone, I think.