03 April 2008

Is GDM hanging for you?

I had this bug all day and finally decided to Google around for the symptoms, and yay, it's been reported, triaged, and a workaround has been posted. If you're using the Human facebrowser (click your name and enter password) GDM theme, after today's Hardy updates, it's looking for a config file, except the file's got a different name, so it's not finding it, and then it goes something like this:

do {
    try {
        getFile();
        break;
    } catch (Exception FileNotFound) {
        continue;
    }   
} while (true);

Yes, I know my pseudo-code looks like Java. Basically, it sits there going "Does the file exist yet? How about now? Now? Ok what about now?" like a kid in the back of the car asking "are we there yet?" The way to make it finally manage to get the file so it can break out of the loop is to copy the file to the name it wants to find...you know, until the package is updated and this stops happening in general...is to run sudo cp /usr/share/themes/Human/gtk-2.0/gtkrc /usr/share/themes/Human/gtk-2.0/gtkrc.en, according to Bug #210538.

This is why they say not to run the unstable stuff on a production machine like I do. I was living in screen, lynx, and irssi sessions all day. If that doesn't sound fun to you, don't run it on a production machine. If it does, have at.


8 comments:

suppressingfire said...

Awesome. This has been bugging me for a day or so now.

Thanks

Joseba said...

Thanks

Anonymous said...

people having problems with openoffice-l10n-*, raise hands!

and yes, there is a workaround (delete them), but i am waiting for an alternative

method said...

Oh, cool. I thought that I was the only one this happened to, because I had chosen the facebrowser. It took me a *long* time to think of changing the gdm screen.

Luca said...

Not to be rude or sniggering but...could you not just install kdm and fire it up to recover a graphical session? After all you had internet access...

Mackenzie said...

Yes, but that's not the point. The point is to make GDM go.

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem, switched to a console, xinit -- :1 which opened a new session with xterm open. Then started gnome with gnome-session.

Danni B said...

Makes me glad I'm using KDM. =P I haven't had any trouble starting kdm-kde4 in Hardy yet.