18 April 2008

Thank You, Anonymous Coward

So, there's some AC who's been visiting this blog and saying crap about me being a bad person for making money off of this blog. Therefore, no more anonymous comments, and comments are now moderated. Sorry, guys, one jerk effed it up.

To set the record straight on this blog and finances:

  • I have AdSense ads.
  • I have not received any money from the AdSense ads yet, though they've been there for nearly a year.
  • I get paid to write about Linux on other websites, not here.
  • I did not get those writing gigs from this blog. I got them from being a frequent commenter at GeeksAreSexy.

And, since the person doesn't seem to understand what Free Software means...

  • The "free" in "Free Software" means Free-as-in-Freedom or Free-as-in-Speech.
  • The "free" in "Free Software" has nothing to do with money.

The AC also takes issue with my being an Ubuntu member, saying I contribute nothing.

  • I'm a moderator on the Ubuntu Forums
  • I frequently help on #ubuntu on IRC.
  • I've done a bit of bug-hunting, but I'm kind of a n00b when it comes to C programming, so I can't squash big bugs. I did figure out what was wrong for Bug #215729 and submit a preliminary patch. Then my poor C skills popped up and the patch had to be patched :P
  • Evangelizing is considered a way of helping out, and I do that.
  • IRL, I help out new users.

So, will the AC please STFU???


16 comments:

Raseel said...

Ignore the f***er !!! I don't care if you become a millionaire because of the blog. It's because your blog is so damned good that you'll end up earning from Adsense, right ?
So as you correctly said for all of us :
AC, STFU !!!

Tony Yarusso said...

Uh oh, I get paid to administer Ubuntu at work - is that still okay? ;)

Mark said...

Hi Mackenzie. Mark here. The poor little soul is probably just jealous of you. As my grandfather likes to say, "if you're pissing someone off, you're doing everything right and please continue!" :-)

So I wouldn't worry about it. When I check my blog every morning and I see no negative comments, I get disappointed because I haven't annoyed anyone! Then I have to tell my grandfather and he says "well then you can't be doing it right then can you?!" :-)

HelloWorld said...

Wow that's pretty lame. Blogging is all about DISCUSSION -- whether it is uncomfortable or not. For shame taking a huge step backwards...

Igor said...

Hehe, you got a memory leak in your patch :D, but no worries that happens to the bests too.

And there's nothing bad on making money of Open Source Software.

Sabrebutt said...

He (or she) is probably just jealous that you write so well. Keep up the good work and ignore the trolls! You have many happy subscribers.

tycheent said...

As a blogger on a different site, I feel your pain. I, too, have been forced to moderate comments due to the immaturity of others. I don't happen to be paid for any of my efforts, as a Team member, Ubuntu member or as a reporter with the UWN, but I certainly don't begrudge others the opportunity to make money where they can. In fact, that's one of the benefits of working with FLOSS: the right to make money on collateral endeavors. Best of luck.

Peddicord said...

Just ignore them. If they want to be that low then let them rant and let others see how stupid they look. It's your blog, you have the right to do whatever you want with it.

Shane Levin said...

I you have 5 people hating on you, see about getting another 15 added on to that. Haters hate, thats there job, because they can't stand to see someone doing something. I am a frequent reader of this blog, because its a damn good blog. Even though its you if it wasn't decent, I wouldn't read it. So keep up the good work mackenzie.

Dread Knight said...

No problems in having adds.


Just do your thing, girl! :-)

Tom said...

@maco: Noli nothis permittere te terere.

@helloworld: "Discussion" is one thing. What the AC perpetrated is known by the term "libel." It was not that the AC was raising "uncomfortable" points. It was that the AC was making statements that made a false claim, expressively stated or implied to be factual, that could harm the reputation of the person who runs this blog.

Red Nikon said...

I can't say I feel your pain, seeing as I get no comments on my blog. I doubt anyone even goes to my blog... It maters not it is called Red Nikon's -Musings- for a reason.

Anyway don't let the AC eat at you, just continue what you have been doing, albit now moderating comments...

Mackenzie said...

Red Nikon, I've visited your blog. You comment here pretty often, so I went to look.

Jake said...

My favorite part of Open Source is that you can contribute in any way you see fit.
Personally, I haven't programmed in years - but I do educate people about Linux and open source, whenever someone cares to listen. If I could make money doing it, I probably would - and couldn't begrudge anyone for doing the same.

I read all of Planet Ubuntu, and you're one of the members I enjoy reading most - hope the trolls don't make writing less enjoyable!

Sterling "Chip" Camden said...

You know you've arrived when you start attracting anonymous slams.

Charlie Samo said...

Good on you. The AC just sounds like a jealous person who wishes they were in your shoes.

Anyway, I've found a few interesting and useful posts on your blog so keep it up :].