09 June 2008

New Terminator Available

I was just reading my Google Reader and saw that there is a beta out for the next Terminator release. The list of changes looks very nice. Dragging the panes around and having titles on them are the two things I'm looking forward to the most. As I said before, I've been using Compiz's annotate plugin to mark which SSH connection is which.

I can't wait to try it out. Unfortunately, Comcast still hasn't fixed my connection, and my Hardy laptop can't see my school's wireless network from this distance. I'll download it when I go over my friend's to watch the last few episodes of Doctor Who (yay for DVRs) after work. Yes, I'm a Whovian, but this will be my first encounter with the new series. I don't have a TV, and well, cable companies don't let you order just History, Sci-Fi, and Comedy Central, and there's nothing else I would want to watch, so I'm not bothering with it.


Dgn said...

when it comes to marking SSH connections or terminals as a whole, you can also use screen, tweak your .screenrc to show you the session names, create several sessions within that screen (C^A c) & set session names accordingly.. (C^A A) You can then navigate trough your screen sessions (C^A n & C^A p) & know which one is on.. Until terminator comes along ;) (Although so far, I can do anything I like with Screen instead of Terminator..)

Robvdl said...

Screen is cool, I agree, you can do things like start an ssh connection to a server, then run screen on that server, start a download, close gnome terminal, then ssh back in an hour later and resume the screen session to see the download complete.

One thing screen cannot do however is use the mouse in programs like midnight commander, terminator can.

Another thing I found handy with terminator is you can actually press keys such as F10 to quit midnight commander, the F10 key won't work in Gnome terminal, including some other keys.

sudosys said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm using this every day since I read about it here. I'm using it in fullscreen mostly (cmus + 2xirssi + mc of my shell), lets you keep an eye on things :)