05 July 2008

Oh the fun of migrating data

When migrating your /home, make sure you install everything first. GNOME was not happy to find configuration files requiring things like Timer Applet which wasn't yet installed when I switched laptops. References to artwork and theme packages that weren't installed or which I had saved in system directories to make them system-accessible also made GNOME unhappy. Definitely install your software before putting the config files that rely on the software back in.

To make that easier, here's a trick to install on the new computer everything you installed from the repositories on your old one. On the old computer, run dpkg --get-selections >> packages.list. Get the new computer online and install dselect (yeah, it's not part of dpkg anymore). Copy the packages.list to your new computer. Then run sudo dpkg --set-selections << packages.list. Finally, run sudo dselect and choose Install. It'll download and install everything it can from the repos. If you got things from 3rd party repos, you need to add those to your /etc/apt/sources.list first (or just copy the old one over). This won't help with random things you installed from who knows where, but if it came from a repository, you should be good.


4 comments:

Steve Tose said...

Thanks for the helpful post. Now I'll have to see if there's something like this for rpm/yum for my non-ubuntu machines.

Mackenzie said...

For rpm/yum, look here:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-get-list-installed-software-reinstallation-restore.html

C. said...

Thanks for the feedback on Ubuntu. I run through all of the Alphas and Betas for each version for testing purposes and wonder if you do the same on any backup boxes.
I will probably be posting on my Blog soon about the results.

ELG

Mackenzie said...

Somewhere in the range of alpha 3 to alpha 5 (depending on if I've heard about showstopper bugs on my hardware...like Hardy's iwl3945 issues early on, which made me wait for alpha 5), I upgrade my only box to unstable, and I use that the entire time until release. I might have a second laptop to use for during Intrepid's unstable, but I'm thinking of giving that to my cousin to teach her Python on, so more than likely, I'll continue to use my main system as my testing platform.