23 September 2008

Try out the Intrepid themes in Hardy

I just realized that a lot of you out there probably don't know about this. We've all heard about the planned visual refresh for Intrepid. Well, if you want to try out some of the themes that have been created, you can install them in Hardy and stay up to date with their improvements using kwwii's PPA. Just add these lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kwwii/ubuntu hardy main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kwwii/ubuntu hardy main

Run sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install community-themes, and you're good. Intrepid's sound theme is also in that PPA, so if you don't want the login sounds to change, disable the PPA again after you get the themes installed.

I really like the Kin theme.


10 comments:

jblackhall said...

Is there any word on whether they're actually going to be using one of these community themes as the default in the actual release. Last I read on the artwork mailing list, it sounded extraordinarily unlikely. They said that they've never actually designed a default theme, but that Mark has paid to have people design one when it came to crunch-time. Seemed from reading the mailing list like the art team lacked the focus and determination to come together and make a really good working theme, despite some of them have a strong desire to do so.

Mackenzie said...

I don't know. I've heard that the themes have historically been chosen based on "Mark likes it" and seemingly without any regard to audience, usability, or focus.

jblackhall said...

Thanks, I was just curious. Also, I just checked out these themes, and I must admit they're very much improved from even a month ago when I was fiddling with them. While previously I couldn't find any dark themes that I liked, both Dust and especially New Wave seem to do do a great job of it. I think I could definitely back the support for any of these 3 themes. I'm sure it's not quite the visual refresh some were hoping for (i.e. new visual stuff with new functionality or redesigned interface, but I must say these are an improvement over the current default theme.

Rolandixor said...

Thanks!
Do you know of any other cool repo's to add to the list?

I'm going to test the sounds to see if they're all that hot; I can always downgrade...

wandering_mind said...

most of the themes seem to be missing some of their components on my system. I wonder what I'm doing wrong...

Mackenzie said...

What do you mean by "most of the components"? They're just GTK & Metacity themes.

cshields said...

wow, thanks for posting this. I'm loving the new wave theme! Do you know of a matching firefox theme? (I ask just before I go to google one myself)

cheers!

Mackenzie said...

If you're using Firefox 3, it does GTK natively. It should pick up the GTK theme change without an additional theme, though you might need to restart Firefox.

mylinuxnotebook said...

Thanks, The New Wave theme looks nice. The only thing I don't like about it is the border size. Is there any way to change it?

Mackenzie said...

You could probably edit the theme in you ~/.themes