02 September 2008

Who's using Gwibber?

I know a bunch of Ubuntu folks switched to Identi.ca, what with it being like an open-source Twitter. And a bunch of us are using Gwibber to send and receive updates. There's talk going on of some micro-blogging (with Identi.ca/Laconica's tags, that is) for Ubuntu and possibly UDS and such. But right now I'm wondering who's using Gwibber? I know I am. Jorge Castro is. Myrtti is. Who else?

If you haven't heard of it, I just wrote an article on it for MakeUseOf. I'm rather pleased to see the Windows users who are sad it's a Linux-only app, though. I mean, when some of the best FOSS out there (Firefox, OpenOffice.org, GIMP) is cross-platform, where's the incentive to switch to Linux? We need more of these really great but Linux-only apps to entice them over, right? And then we hear these silly excuses for not using Linux like "there are no applications for Linux" or "Linux apps all suck," which is certainly not true at all. Let's prove them wrong.

And if you want to get Gwibber some attention, it's up on Digg right now.


14 comments:

Frostfire said...

I read your article at MakeUseOf last night and promptly installed Gwibber on my home machine. Then I came in to work this morning and installed it there. I'm still using Ping.fm for posting my own updates, but this looks like it's going to let me follow everything (so far) except Plurk in one place.

stemp said...

I'm using it.
I was looking for something like that since I am on Identi.ca.
The other alternative was Mono based (a no-go for me).
Good job Ryan and Jorge.

wolfger said...

I'm using Identi.ca, but not Gwibber. I should probably give it another try, but I could not get it to work on Kubuntu last time.

Jordan said...

I'm using it, love it. I think Gwibber is probably responsible for me using micro-blogging at all.

Schwuk said...

I've been using Gwibber for a while now. It's the only desktop client that's worked properly/reliably for me.

topyli said...

I use gwibber, and I like it very much. A couple of annoyances of course, but hey, it's software after all :)

It even got me to update my facebook status which I had never ever done before!

Craig said...

I've been using Gwibber on and off for a few weeks - I'm having a lot of trouble getting into the microblogging thing. But the app is good, doesn't crash, is packaged nicely, and has a good UI. I'm a fan.
http://identi.ca/candrews

Tyler said...

I like the idea, but I don't really need it.

http://identi.ca/tdrusk

risto.kurppa said...

Tried but failed to run it on KDE.. So I'm a potential user :)

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/gwibber/+bug/263240

http://identi.ca/rhk

dadgadjohn said...

I hope I don't come across as being negative, but I don't get the whole Twitter/micro-blogging thing. Is this like IM-ing the whole world with up-to-the-second updates about your life.

Of course, I first became aware of Twitter when some one e-mailed me a YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwGzdbLweUI

YIKES!!

Mackenzie said...

Wow, that chick's voice is *damned* annoying. Here's the best explanation I've seen of micro-blogging: Twitter in Plain English

Amy said...

I use gwibber on both my Ubuntu box and my OpenSuse box. I love it on both; it's very useful. I've been talking to Segphault (Ryan Paul) about it and he's clued me in on a couple new features. Awesome!

Amy

ffatman said...

I can't, 'cose it has broken (GUI not started) in my Ubuntu.

Mackenzie said...

Try the old version. The new one does the same for me. I think it *might* be because I'm on KDE, but I don't know. I've since switched to Choqok, which is very featureful and for KDE (but only for Twitter and Identi.ca), but due to some issues with the KIO libraries, it gets rather memory-leak-y.