13 December 2008

Dear Phisher...

Dear Phisher:

Thank you for contacting me today with your offer to reactivate my email account that I did not know I had. There are just a few problems I see with the request you made regarding reactivating my email address. You see, the link you gave for me to download software to reactivate the account is a Windows executable. First, I'm not quite sure why I need any software other than a web browser to activate an email account. Second, I can't run Windows executables. Third, I really prefer not to run any software which is not Free and Open Source.

If you could, please send me a tarball of the source code, which I hope is suitably licensed. I will inspect the code, and, if I like what I see, I will happily install the software as requested. Don't worry about providing a binary—I am perfectly capable of compiling any software I need from source.

Thank you again.


10 comments:

DoruHush said...

Thank you for this post. You should publish it to the ubuntu wiki for anyone to use when similar situations occur.
This article is a truly inspiration.

GUEBRE GILDAS said...

lol .. too funny..

Rolandixor said...

so you are cool, and funny! lol...

Here's another one. The computers in our lab have a virus that steals your passwords on MSN (happened on our windows desktop :-(
)

But, it uses autorun... and even if I used wine, it won't affect ubuntu, I could just delete my .wine folder, which I do very often... lol.

Maybe just someday, I can have the joy installing debs for harmful software on ubuntu (other than fglrx... still can't switch users, and this is intrepid. lol).



-Rolandixor... (the link is safe BTW lol. It's my ubuntu network!)

Adam said...

Ha! I live when that happens. I get stuff like that occasionally on my primary machine and just laugh because this is a Powerbook, running OSX.

Of course, some people are not as computer savvy as others and will fall for stuff like that. (I got a panicked call from a friend last week who got hit by that Facebook worm going around.)

But yeah.. I've also got no problem compiling from source. Actually, I've been seriously considering moving my Vista machine to Linux (sadly, it seems to run the best with Fedora 10... Ubuntu, even Ibex, can't find the wireless, can't control the display brightness, has no clue over the battery status, etc.)

Anyway...off topic there.. I just like the protection that I have, even with OSX, of being in a *nix environment.

-Adam

eddy said...

Hi Mackenzie... I been reading your posts for a while. I just want give you my congratulations. You writing is great. Read it is a pleasure. Thanks a lot... Keep posting.

Steve Tose said...

Could this be added to a repository so my email could automatically be reactivated when I update? Seriously though I know the feeling. A family member fairly recently needed me to remove a virus; it was trying to call out over the modem! That was a good opportunity to explain that that running Linux has that effect on any malware I might get.

tycheent said...

THIS was a treasure. I doubt if the phisher will really read it, unfortunately. Or, if he/she does, will understand it. [sarcasm tag]Don't ALL computers run on MS Windows?[/sarcasm tag]

Craig
Tyche

Arthur said...

haha, great post!

crath said...

Please don't spam Digg.

Mackenzie said...

Uh, how am I spamming Digg? I didn't submit this to Digg, some guy named rsturk did. I didn't even know it was on Digg. And I'm not responsible for the fact that either he or Digg fails at detecting the title of a blog post.