03 March 2010

Favourite Ubuntu wallpapers?

With all the talk of the new theme I was thinking I'd make a blog post of all the Ubuntu wallpapers over time, then as I was looking for them, I found a website doing just that (at least up to 8.10). I praised Hardy's wallpaper when it was first revealed (but erm, not the final version…). That was the last Ubuntu wallpaper I liked though (just as well I guess—I switched to Kubuntu for Jaunty without bothering with Intrepid).

Leading up to that, Gutsy had a lovely wallpaper that looked to me like chocolate-coloured silk draped gracefully across the screen. One of my cousins said it looked to her like delicious chocolate mousse (and asked for a spoon) when I replaced her Mac's wallpaper with it.

Gutsy default wallpaper

And before that, Feisty and Edgy…well, I didn't like their default wallpapers, but they had the same alternate wallpaper which I'd forgotten about until now, and which I really liked at the time (and still do).

Edgy/Feisty alternate wallpaper

This one looks like melted dark chocolate to me. Anyone got a strawberry? Hmm, maybe it's good that the new wallpaper looks like a bruise. I wouldn't be wanting to eat my desktop…

Which release had your favourite wallpaper?


17 comments:

Shane Par-Due said...

Hardy Heron's was definitely my favorite!

Steve Pearce said...

@ Shane, Agreed, the drawing style on that desktop was beautiful.

Shane said...

I loved the bubbles wallpaper from karmic's alphas I dont know why they removed it :/

Jean-François said...

hey there, I'm actually the maintainer of that website... I haven't updated it since 8.10 indeed, my bad. I'm lazy :) it's still sitting around in my task list though, I'll have to update it sometime soon.

And yeah, I often thought that some of the previous wallpapers were much better than their newer replacements.

Jean-François said...

Me again. I just updated the website to include the wallpapers for Ubuntu 9.04, 9.10. I'll wait for the final release of Lucid to add 10.04 ('cause Canonical/Ubuntu has a tendency to pull out the artwork at the last minute).

Ah, and my favorites are #2 from 9.04 and the 5.10 wallpapers.

Mackenzie said...

Jean-François:
Thanks! Updated the post to reflect your updates.

Sumant said...

Thanks Mackenzie. You share your nice thought.


Recently I just came across a good article on 100 Linux Tips and Tricks
Here is its link.

directhex said...

It's *totally* got to be Hardy. I loved the art direction.

Compared to, say, the awful GDM theme in Jaunty...

Xav said...

I loved Hardy's wallpaper. It was bold and iconic - instantly recognisable and different to anything that shipped with other operating systems at the time.

The other great thing about it was that the source image was an SVG file. While recent releases have included some beautiful photographic wallpapers, I think it's more in keeping with the ethos of Open Source to include a few SVG wallpapers, as described in more detail here:

http://www.peppertop.com/blog/?p=435

Nigel said...

I think the one I loved was the green leafy thingy included in Karmic along with another foggy scene again in Karmic. My current wallpaper though is a photo from a flickr friend

jpmrblood said...

I never changed my wallpaper when in Hardy era. It was the longest wallpaper on my desktop.

hhh said...

This one (other Ubuntu flavors count, don't they?)...
link

sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-wallpapers

Then you'll find them in /usr/share/backgrounds

Tony Yarusso said...

I also liked Gutsy's drapey chocolate thing - simple and elegant.

Alan Bell said...

the best ever in my opinion is this one with all the animals on it
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Karmic/Backgrounds/Extra_Abstract?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=olivia_karmic2_super.png

klaatu said...

i vote gutsy as well. that was a great wallpaper, and in fact i think gutsy was my favourite ubuntu release in general.

hope to see you at SELF and/or Fosscon this year Maco!

Mackenzie said...

Hey Klaatu!

Yes, I'll be at SELF, though...OH! You live in Pittsburgh, right? Are you driving down? Going past DC? Can I carpool with you?

yabebe said...

Definately the current release is the best wallpaper !